View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM
SilkySmooth
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: CR7/9 Left

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
What type of plane do you fly? Do you have any procedural wind or gust additives?
CRJ200; "A speed additive of five kts. is the minimum factor, and ten kts. is the maximum. Vref factor is adjusted for wind gust by dividing the gust factor by two, and adding it to Vref."

When my navigational display shows a 15 knot tailwind on final yet tower is calling 10 knots headwind down the runway
So at what point do you quit believing the tower? In other words, when do you make the decision to go around should the winds exceed limitations? Would you land if the tower reported a 10kt headwind even though your PFD indicated a 15kt tailwind?

---- or the ATIS I just received called winds 30018G26 (for example this morning in Austin) but tower said 300/9 cleared to land --- I become very suspicious of what they tell me.
How do you guys determine your Vref factor? And how much different would it be given the stated conditions?

I guess my question really is, "If the conditions are not likely to be rapidly changing, is it really necessary to clog up the frequency by asking for a wind check? (If you listen, you'll notice that the tower will typically annouce any significant changes in wind speed and or direction) And even if the conditions are rapidly changing, who's to say that they're going to be the same 30 to 60 seconds from now when you land? At some point, don't you have to make your best assessment and go with it?"