View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
EagleDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

I remember a few years ago it was somebody asking why AA pilots (not Delta) always ask for a wind check. He received the same responses. Someone automatically responded about ex-military guys being too anal. Someone else tried to explain exactly why they did it. Many reasons, some valid, some maybe not. If the original post was intended to learn technique I applaud your desire to better yourself. There are many valid reasons to ask for winds on short final.

If you don't want a wind check, don't ask for one but there's no need to ridicule someone else for asking about information over the runway of intended landing. I don't know too many areas in aviation where having too much information will hurt you. Maybe the guys who refuse to ask for wind updates think it's not macho and their coolness factor diminishes. Most of the exceptional pilots I know save the coolness test for the bar and want as much information as possible when flying. The weak pilots are the ones who think they need no help to handle it all with one eye closed, one engine out and a worthless copilot. Like Clint said, "A man's got ta know his limitations."