View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 PM
flybye

Unhappy Are things any better?

I am a former flight instructor CFI, CFII, MEI with about 925 TT and an aeronautical studies degree (still owe about $75 K on). I left flying just over 2 years ago after I could not stand being broke any more and saw my debt spiraling out of control (using plastic to help make ends meet) and my credit rating being destroyed. This coupled with a constant barrage of bad news coming from the industry and any hopes of getting to a regional pushed further and further out of reach. This was after moving half way across the country to take a job flight instructing at a college making less per hour (when all face time is considered) than a guy stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. All this while my sizable student loans entered repayment, rent prices went through the roof, and my wife was suffering along with me to trying to make ends meet. Not to mention the fact I had a very tough time just getting through college because my parents could not really afford to help.

Even considering all this it was the hardest thing I ever did because I love flying and have always dreamed of flying for an airline. I guess there just came a day when I realized that this career is a money pit, and if I continue down this path I could end up pennyless and possibly divorced. It is so sad what has happened to one of the greatest careers in the world, and to think how many people besides myself have worked so hard to train, and for what, to make less than many Americans with far less education and training. It is a tragedy that the dreams of so many hopeful pilots have led them to a race to the bottom. It seems today that the "paying your dues" period is lifelong.

It is so discouraging to hear the people actually flying the heavy metal deciding to leave the career because they have all ready made it. It seemed to me insane to continue chasing a dream job that no longer existed when the people that already have it do not even want it (and to go broke doing it). Sorry for the bitter tone but I cannot help this seeing what has become of this once great career. Over 2 years later I have not even rented a plane because after leaving it all behind it is very hard to even be around planes. I am afraid to catch that bug again as flying is very addictive.

That being said there is some faint glimmer of hope still in me, and for this reason I have decided to maintain my instructor licenses. Can anyone still in the trenches let me know what the industry is like for instructors today. Is there any hope in sight or have things gotten even worse?

For all of you students and instructors still struggling to make this career work (and ends meet) my heart goes out to you, and I wish you the best of luck. Comments welcome.