Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM
ALPO Whisperer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by dudeskibro View Post
Like most companies that make money, I believe SPIRIT will be around in 2 years.
If Spirit is making money, I would like to believe that they would be around in 2 years. I caution folks (and take a lot of heat in the process) that it doesn't necessarily mean that we will enjoy the "fruits" of that success as pilots. They are committed to this ULCC model and as a result, will do anything necessary to keep costs as low as possible.

If you find yourself getting down about NK, or pessismistic like I've been recently, try to stay positive. I think a lot of it has to do with our own expectations about what we WANT Spirit to be, and not what it ACTUALLY IS. Simply, it is a no-frills airline for people to travel from point A to point B with bare-bones service at the cheapest price period. No crew meals, no first class, no industry leading pilot rates. Just a seat and a way to get from here to there safely.

The problem I think a lot of us find ourselves struggling with is that we just have PERCEPTIONS about what an airline should look like, and have a hard time accepting that Spirit has chosen a model that confilcts with those perceptions. Some folks like the path NK has chosen, some folks don't.

The sooner you can individually accept this fact, the sooner you may find happiness. I know each one of us wants to feel respected and valued. That's why we've work so hard to get to this point in our careers.

Cheers