Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
JumpSeater
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by heading180 View Post
Some of you may have seen the info on the Safety Seminar and Pilot Job Fair to be held near LGA next month. Looks like Compass and JetBlue will be there. Can someone tell me what they are doing?? Are they, specifically Compass, seriously hiring people at these things? To go would require $100 for the seminar and job fair, in addition to atleast 1, maybe 2 nights at a hotel. I'm estimating a cost of $400 to commute in and attend this. Compass has held a couple of job fairs in the past and no one has really talked about them on here. So... can someone answer.. what's the scoop, what's really going on, and what is Compass realistically looking for in a candidate at one of these things.
Unless you have well beyond their minimums, an internal rec., and just want to put some frosting on the cake, I would not bother going in the hopes it would help you with Compass. What you will hear from them is that it is the greatest company in the world... blah, blah, blah. You can find plenty of information about Compass on this forum and by talking to other pilots. It is very much similar to most other regionals and I personally would not pay just to listen to some company tell me how great they are until they have offered me the job and then you can find out for yourself. I would rather not hear it from the marketing/HR end. I have been to a job fair and listened to the Compass presentation. It was a well prepared, professional presentation and I have nothing against the company, but it seems that unless you have an internal rec., I do not think going to a job fair will help you - my personal opinion. I am also a little perplexed why they go. You basically get to hand them your resume and they put it in a pile. I just do not see why, given the state of this industry and availability of qualified pilots, airlines are attending these fairs. My vote is to save your money, but you never know what could happen - and that's the crux. Good luck!