Thread: CRJ 200 Flaps
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 PM
String682
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by EVpilot View Post
Slow to 200, extend the flaps to 20, then speed back up to 210. ATC will never know the difference. I do this on a regular basis in ATL.
Likewise, this is exactly what I do, and what I see from others as well. As for the gear thing, I’ve used them for drag on several occasions over 200 KIAS and never had any problems.

One more thing keep in mind when slowing down at flight idle with full boards deployed. It gives you a very narrow margin above the stall protection system (SPS) as you approach 200 KIAS clean. I once had the SPS briefly activate while descending and slowing to 200 during an approach. I was at flight idle, with full boards, and just before achieving the required 200 KIAS for flaps, we entered a small cumulus cloud. The sudden jolt of light turbulence was just enough to trip the shaker.

I’ve since noticed that you tend to be below the green reference line when approaching 200 KIAS clean with full boards deployed. You know, the green line that everyone says is only valid with full flaps in the landing configuration, but perhaps the validity of the green line is a debate for another thread. I’ve heard and read conflicting things concerning the green reference line.