View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM
blujay
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
blujay,
Welcome aboard. Glad you are open minded enough to consider the armed forces. All the services are top notch. They each have a wonderful sense of comraderie. They will test you to your limits, but in that test, you will either fail or succeed. Either way, you will learn something valuable about your countries military (we are live flesh and blood human beings serving an all volunteer force in our still free Republic) and more importantly, yourself.
Your parents enjoy the freedoms to be anti-military because of folks like you and the other posters on this thread who choose to defend that right. You will quickly notice, that these military folks are independent thinkers are are not likely in any shape or form as your folks would paint us. We vigorously debate, but we also kick some serious a$$ as required as a team. It is a privilege to serve.
Its good to know that a great number of servicemen think for themselves, contrary to what I've been told.

Give the consideration its due, if you have a sense of adventure, you will not likely regret the pursuit.
My suggestion, if able, associate with a Civil Air Patrol unit. That will give you some exposure to the type of folks that often go into service.
I'm doing that next summer.

Would also recommend that you get your degree, join an ANG unit to fly with, then go to Law school after all your training. Once complete with your initial service obligations to the Guard, can practice law for your civilian job and fly Guard as well.
Good luck, I am Navy Reserve now, 20+ years in a Navy jets, now a hall closet desk type <g> but have service time in USAF and USMC, worked extensively with Army and Army Guard soldiers and a bit with our Coast Guard.
P.S Dont worry about the nausea. Like others posted, once acclimated, won't be an issue. It is usually that simple.
Good luck
I've been researching the ANG, and it seems quite nice. That's probably exactly the type of service I was looking for, part time but no less intense.

EDIT: Shoot, I just made three posts. Sorry guys! There doesn't seem to be a delete button. Don't bite my head off.