View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
TPROP4ever
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: none ya...

Originally Posted by ATCsaidDoWhat View Post
Sorry Richie, need to raise the flag here in support of the RJ's.

While KC's comments were a bit more moderate, no one has a claim here to be better simply because they fly for a legacy. Yes, they have had their screwups, so has DAL. Let's not forget the tragedy of the 1011 that flew through the thunderstorm at DFW and the 727 that took off without setting the T/O flaps. A hell of a lot of people died in those crashes over some really poor decisions. Or a fellow named Duffy who landed at the wrong airport in Kentucky as I recall.

I sat on a 727 jumpseat into ATL and watched 3 hotrods decide to coast into the gate on taxi speed alone after shutting down the engines. When they couldn't figure out why they had no brakes or steering, I had to tell the S/O he needed to put his APU online and open the Brake Interconnect. Thank God he had it up and running or it would have been really ugly.

ACL may be right...there may be a really good reason for the decision to use the taxiway. Maybe not. Time will tell.

But you and others are being much less than honest if you say that you would not be trashing the RJ drivers or anyone else.

Go back 60 years and read what Ernie Gann said about the legacies. What was true then is true today.

Arrogance and ego will bite you in the ass and kill you in this business. That's why the "great" pilots check it at the door.

You are at a legacy carrier because your resume happened to be in the right place on the right day. And just like any other pilot, you can be on the street looking in if your company screws up.

I nominate this as quote of the day....nice to see there are still some pilots out there, with a sense of what it is to deserve respect, it has nothing to do with how big your plane is.