View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Lambourne
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777 Capt

Originally Posted by Packer Backer View Post
They guy had a medical emergency onboard. Maybe the aircraft in front of him was an RJ that rolled to the end of 27R. Instead of making a go around, maybe he thought the taxiway was a better alternative than having some guy die in the back.
So the better option is to endanger the lives of ALL the passengers on board the aircraft versus a go around? I hardly think so. People die on airplanes all the time. As pilots we can let the FA's and any medical professionals on board the airplane do their job in the care of the pax. We as pilots have to make the SAFE decisions to take care of the airplane and ALL the passengers. Focusing on one sick pax leaves the safety of the rest in doubt.

I wasn't there so I don't know what led to this event. However, it would seem pretty indefensible to intentionally land on a taxiway that you have no idea is occupied with another airplane or vehicle.

Guessing he coasted in near CHS and flew close to AGS to get to ATL. Depending on where this occurred he passed a lot of runways to get to that taxiway. For the "emergency" landing on a taxiway.

Some of my own questions....was he over 60? and was he a commuter?

L