View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM
TheProfessionalPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: CRJ-900 FO, Supra left seat

Originally Posted by johnso29 View Post
The problem with your point is that it's focusing on a SINGLE EVENT! The senate hearings are a result of MULTIPLE REGIONAL accidents over the past several years. Those have resulted in fatalities, unlike the Mainline incidents.

Your argument also holds no water because the OVERALL experience at the Mainline level FAR exceeds the Regional level. Mistakes happen at all levels, & no Mainline pilot disagrees with it. However, statistics prove that the severity of mistakes at Regionals in the past 10-15 years have been greater than at the Mainline level. Why? Less experience at the Regional level.
I like how you Capitalize Mainline Everytime You Write it. It's mainline. And we are regional.

There is obviously arrogance in this forum. No one is perfect and we should all recognize this. My father was AA, and here we go I'll rag on them: landing at a military base, taking back off without takeoff clearance, and then landing at the correct airport without asking for landing clearance again. No one is blocked from a mistake.

What am I trying to say? Stay professional and constantly do a self check that reminds you that the MORE experience you get, the MORE COMPLACENT you get. Be diligent and don't forget we are all capable of complacency.

I AM NOT saying that this crew did anything wrong. Obviously we don't know enough to make that statement, and even THEN it would be wrong to say "what were they thinking?!". What was Comair thinking at Lexington, Pinnacle at 41,000 feet and "it's so cool duuude", so on and so forth. We work among unprofessional pilots and unfortunate pilots alike.

Originally Posted by Silver2Gold View Post
Perhaps it's because I'm med down with some virus and restricted to my quarters that I'm taking the time to address (or stoop low enough to address) some of the regional driver comments:

Certainly, part of the 1500 hour and ATP requirement is about providing a greater chance for maturity. Notice I said that it provides a greater chance that the pilot will be mature, but does not guarantee it. Maturity, that is, as an aviator. One example, is the maturity to understand that you don't comment about the details of an accident/incident until the details are known. And, even then, you address the errors in airmanship vice attacking the person/people involved.

I can't speak for all of us - but by and large, most of the RJ driver comments on this matter have only re-enforced my belief in the need for more years in the cockpit before flying around my friends and family.
Silver2Gold - I would like to shake your hand for making an epic avatar. You just made my day! Doesn't get any more bad*** than that!