View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
shiznit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: right for a long, long time

Originally Posted by higney85 View Post
In the mindset of "probation" the MEC will direct probationary members to do or not do certain things. A probie cannot walk a picket line before a strike, but is fully covered under the RLA once a legal strike is started. I can see the way my post can be interpreted. The MEC would advice all pilots AND probationary pilots if/when a strike happens. If a probie doesn't show up to work the company can/may terminate (fire) the pilot, this is where the "hostages" and back to work agreements come into play. I would NOT lump a strike possibility and hiring together since the probies don't vote anyway.
The Probies at Comair walked off and though were "terminated" by the Company, part of the strike settlement was "re-hiring" of those probationary pilots.

"No pilot left behind" if you will. It wouldn't be good for future union support if probs. were cut loose and not included. Its become a standard part of a "return to work" agreement.

I wouldn't worry about it, the National SPC will help guide all of you through the steps if it comes down to self-help.