View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
johnso29

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757/767
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Silver2Gold View Post
As for myself, I am pleased to see the premium placed on a four year education within this bill. However, I would like to see this importance manifest itself differently. That is, I would like to see the requirement be that 1500 hours, an ATP, and a 4-year degree from any accredited university be the requirement to fly ticket paying American passengers through our skies. The requirement for a four year degree truly establishes the Airline Pilot profession as just that - a professional organization of educated, skilled workers. It:
- Establishes every member as an educated professional worthy of much more than 18K/year
- Establishes a baseline of education, one that has guaranteed a minimum standard of general university requirements in critical thinking and communication.
- Completely eliminates the ability of the industry to produce ridiculously quick entrances to the profession - which has the same effect as printing money in times of shortage. It devalues the currency.

I think we could go on all day about how raising the standard of education in our industry helps us all, but I digress. I am saving it for my letter to my Senator. In a state like WY - there is virtually no mainline flights putting wheels on a runway outside of Jackson Hole. Essentially, I think we could all agree that a more professional organization could be argued to be a safer one. Hopefully, the good Senator will agree. I urge those of you with similar sentiments to express them to your congressmen and women as well.

Fair Skies and Tailwinds......

S2G

Silver2Gold,

Great post!!!!