Thread: Mapd
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

The good news...MAPD is one of the few "buy a job" programs that actually has a very high success rate.

The bad news...

1) If you are in the 20% that don't complete the program and/or get hired, you have a lot of debt, no job, and no cfi certificate.

2) If you do get hired, you will have to work for mesa...hands down the worst jet airline in the country (maybe the world). The low pay, poor lifestyle, management lies, abuse, and theft make the work environment a horrible one.

3) Without a 4 year degree, you will almost certainly be stuck at mesa for a very, very long time. NOBODY wants to be at mesa for any length of time. Don't believe me? Try it and see...you'll be kicking yourself in the @ss in a few years for not listening to me (and yes I learned the hard way).

4) If mesa downsizes dues to disatisfaction on the part of their code-share customers (a distinct possibility in the near future), you will have a lot of debt, no job, and no cfi certificate.

5) Your peers in the industry do not have a lot of respect for most mesa pilots, especially mesa pilots who do not have a cfi background (you learn a lot of important things as a CFI). This will not help your career. If you think you'll just stay at mesa and not worry about getting a job anywhere else, better think again...

To do this career right you need the 4 year degree and the CFI background. If you can't swing the degree right away, do the CFI thing first, then degree later. If you absolutely can't stand the thought of being a cfi, you probably should not be in the airline business...most airline captains have to play a instructor role with some or all of their FO's. There are some single-pilot general aviation flying jobs where you don't need to interact with others much...but you will probably still need the cfi ticket to get those jobs.