View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by VR86 View Post
I have two 3 year degrees BBA & B.com (yes i did both of them together ).

whats with the phrase "4 year degree" ?
A "4 year degree" is the standard 'well rounded liberal arts' education in the USA, cumulating in a bachelor of either science or arts degree from an accredited college, a 'BS' or a 'BA' for short. These degrees usually take about 120 credit hours of coursework to complete, or about 4 years (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year). If you're really dedicated and/or intellectually talented you might be able to do it in 3 years. It's the degree you get from Harvard or a state school in the US (versus the community college or technical school degree). It falls between an 'Associates' degree and a 'Masters' degree in the education hierarchy.

I'm not familiar with a '3 year degree', nor the 'BBA' or 'B.com' degrees. Are they from a school in the USA?
--
In case readers of this thread missed it - to be a professional pilot, your major doesn't matter all that much (if you had to choose, a science degree would be preferred over an arts degree), nor even the school you obtained it from (provided it's an accredited institution). Where you obtained your flight training doesn't really matter either (nobody cares if you went to UND or Riddle except the people @ UND and Riddle). What matters is the ratings you've achieved (CFI, ATP, etc), positions you've held (captain, aircraft commander, check airman, etc), experience (turbine, multiengine, jet, etc), and, most importantly, who you know - the vast majority of current pilots got their job by knowing someone who already worked for the company and recommended them.

The fastest and cheapest way to a good aviation job (what I would do) - find a retired military, airline, or corporate pilot who's teaching and get your all your ratings from them (private, instrument, commercial, multi-engine, and certified flight instructor). Go to an in-state school (cheap) and major in something you'd love to do if aviation doesn't work out. Teach flying on the side while in college, and figure out if you really like flying enough to do it for the rest of your life. Intern @ an airline or corporate aviation department in the summer (good way to get a 1st job). Graduate from college, and either join the military to fly, or find a civilian job flying anything with a turbine. Once you're @ this point, you'll control your destiny.

If you play your cards right, your initial instructor, the guy/gal you learned to fly with, will write you a recommendation letter to their former company and one day you can retire from the same place they did (if that's what you want).

To the original poster - don't get an aviation degree! Personally, I wouldn't go to a fancy brand name flight school either, I'd find a retired guy like I mentioned above, but if you plan on doing this for a career, it's important to find someone who knows how to train you to professional standards, and your average instructor @ the local airport likely won't be able to do that (which is why I say find a retired professional - they know the standard).