Thread: Mapd
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:55 PM
BURflyer
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by BEWELCH View Post
Hey,

I'm Set To Get My A.s Degree With All My Ratings In May. I Dont Like School, And Im Really Not Looking Forward To Being A Cfi! So This Summer I'm Thinking Of Going To Mapd And Doing The Pace Program. Any Feed Back Would Be Appreciated!

The academies might not be ok for you now since they cater 0 time pilots, just continue the pt61 way. If you get anything out of asking this question it's this; you will waste valuable time going through the PACE program. There is a HUGE downside to not going the CFI route and ultimately buying your job. It might look good on paper but in real life it will affect you in the years to come especially in future interview boards.

In the months you will be simulating flights in the shiny MAPD simulators you could actually become a CFI and get actual flight experience. I believe the pace program lasts about 3 months if everything goes ok and you will end up with 50 hour+ in your log book, that's it. In that time you could have loged in hundreds of hours as a CFI. A few months later you will have 1000 hours.

Now think about this, you will spend more time as an FO at MESA in order to be able to upgrade. Those guys with 1000 hours will be captains faster than you, if you can take that than go ahead do the PACE. They may say MAPD get seniority faster but what good is seniority if you don't have the time to upgrade?? Ask the MAPD sales people that same question, see what they say.

Last, it's about personal dignity. You will sell yourself to MESA when you accept that job offer as a 300 hour pilot. After all how much say does a 300 hour pilot have? Not much at all, they will be at the mercy of MESA. You won't get respect from other pilots who did it the right way and worst of all you won't be happy, I guarantee it. Aim high, good luck.