View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 AM
rytheflyguy
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

I am not advising you to quit your current job. For 99% of people in your situation that would be foolish. For 1%, it is a better life - I'm in the 1%.

At 28, I owned my own business, made enough to fly plenty on the weekends in a plane I had 50% share in, and was home every night, albeit very late most of the time.

But I was miserable. Absolutely miserable. And it was bad enough that it was even affecting my wife and our marriage. She'll tell you that if I hadn't changed careers, we probably wouldn't be married anymore.

For me, the pay cut and the nights away were a tradeoff I and my family were willing to make. My wife supported me 110% even though it meant huge sacrifices for her. I am home more now than I was when I was the owner, and I'm far less stressed and in general a much more pleasant person , but I'm out of town if something urgent comes up.

If you aren't okay with being out of town, you need to rethink your plan. It won't work long-term doing out and backs. Really, it won't. Best of luck.

Last edited by rytheflyguy; 10-17-2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Adding info.