View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 PM
superduck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: A320, Left

Originally Posted by Silver2Gold View Post
As for myself, I am pleased to see the premium placed on a four year education within this bill. However, I would like to see this importance manifest itself differently. That is, I would like to see the requirement be that 1500 hours, an ATP, and a 4-year degree from any accredited university be the requirement to fly ticket paying American passengers through our skies. The requirement for a four year degree truly establishes the Airline Pilot profession as just that - a professional organization of educated, skilled workers. It:
- Establishes every member as an educated professional worthy of much more than 18K/year
- Establishes a baseline of education, one that has guaranteed a minimum standard of general university requirements in critical thinking and communication.
- Completely eliminates the ability of the industry to produce ridiculously quick entrances to the profession - which has the same effect as printing money in times of shortage. It devalues the currency.

I think we could go on all day about how raising the standard of education in our industry helps us all, but I digress. I am saving it for my letter to my Senator. In a state like WY - there is virtually no mainline flights putting wheels on a runway outside of Jackson Hole. Essentially, I think we could all agree that a more professional organization could be argued to be a safer one. Hopefully, the good Senator will agree. I urge those of you with similar sentiments to express them to your congressmen and women as well.

Fair Skies and Tailwinds......

S2G
Thank you for this post. Well said.

Hopefully, this Bill will end the "Puppy Mills" pumping out "Airline pilots" in 9 months with the education of "Miss South Carolina" babbling about not enough maps for people or something!