Thread: Vagabond
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Default are you looking for me?

Wow, this is the first time someone on the forum put my name on the title of any thread! I assume you are referring to me?

Anyway, people on the forum know that I am in Seattle and recently began flight school. I have a whopping 7.4 hours in my FAA-approved logbook. I am learning at Wings Aloft, an FBO at BFI (rickair, that is Boeing Field). It's a pretty good outfit, but I find it expensive, although not as expensive as Galvin down the street. It has a variety of planes so there is not much chance of being denied the opportunity of flying when you want to. There is an annoying little membership fee, but the process of reserving a plane and flying it is smooth and logical (which helps my lawyer brain). I fly the C-172 mostly.

As I said in another thread, BFI is not SeaTac, but it gets busy. Lots of general aviation planes, business jets, cargo, helicopters flying around all the time. And one has to be careful of SeaTac airspace. Why I've had to dodge more than one Alaska MD-80 while attempting to land! Makes flying patterns very interesting to say the least. My discovery flight (details of which are reported ad nauseum in an old, old thread) was delayed even because President Bush came to town. That day, I learned what a NOTAM was from my friends here on the forum.

Your skills in radio communications will improved markedly. My CFI let me talk to Boeing ground and Boeing tower for the first time a couple weeks ago. I learned to speak loudly and clearly. I knew it was not a super busy day so I said everything in its entirety. There is a thread going on here about improper phraseology. Well, my humble opinion is to use a little judgment. If it's not busy, then talk with the tower as you have been taught in ground school. A busy time is not the time to engage in idle chit chat with some guy in the tower you don't even know. But then that's just my opinion.

Where are you flying out of now? I thought about going to someplace less busy, but I'm glad I am staying at BFI. I can only become a better pilot. My final comment - if a lawyer can fly around BFI without killing herself and her CFI, then anybody can fly out of BFI.