Thread: Virtual Bases?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Denny Crane
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
Well, right off the top of my head, it would be cost-effective if you could reduce overnights. Second, it may not be about cost-effectiveness, but about providing a solution to a new problem. Again, if laws change to make it punitive to commute, then there is a problem which cannot be solved entirely on the backs of commuters, or the company. But that's speculation based on laws that haven't yet changed.

What I think the company would really be after is to create an alternative to massive shifts between North and South bases. Instead of having a senior North guy go to NYC, and a junior South guy be pushed off to DTW, why not give BOTH a new alternative? Why not, for example, take a little flying out of both, and create (I know some will soil themselves at this example)... a BOS base? I think anything that causes movement based on AE's is good for the company. So they reduce DTW a little, NYC a little, but anyone with the seniority can get in to BOS. Since the flying "moved" no backfill is needed in DTW or NYC. Take a little bit of the flying away from existing bases, and cover new bases, and you've probably taken care of many of the people who wanted to adjust their commuting pattern, and move into the opposite base. You actually shifted them to something better. All that's left are people who live in each other's pre-merger base, i.e. the South guy that lives in DTW, and the die-hards that have some other reason to need that particular base. I don't know if I'm explaining this well. Simply stated: I suspect that creating new options reduce the problem of cross-training, and moving expenses in between existing bases.

Again, none of this suits me very much, because I drive to a current base, but these are some of the motivations that I think are at play.
Hotel costs would definately be a savings. The company could possibly save on DHing costs. But on the negative side you now have to man a virtual base with a certain number of reserves over and above the regular lines.

I get your point in the second paragraph and it seems plausible. I can see where the company, after SOC, would try to mitigate any mandatory displacements occuring from transfering flying from one base to another. Offering AE bids to virtual bases would do that and lock bidders into their seats for two years. We are just going to have to see what happens with any new duty time and rest requirement regulations that may affect commuting. Myself being a commuter, I will be very interested!

I would think, from a company standpoint, that having more pilots live in their bases would desirable. Hence maybe they are considering it even if it might cost a little extra although it could be scheduling nightmare. One of the problems with it I think was brought up earlier is: What if equipment is downsized or upgauged into one of these VB's? Now you don't have the right pilots there.

I'd still be interested if anyone has any answers/opinions to my lead off post!

Denny