View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
SabreDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: The Right One

Originally Posted by navigatro View Post
[

No, you do not go to full power on the remaining engines. The reduced power settings factor in the loss of an engine when calculating obstacle clearance.
Depends on who your performance chart data vendor is. I would most certianly use MCT at the loss of one of my engines on takeoff, depending on the takeoff weight. If the jet is maxedout at 830k, you are gonna need every bit, just get busy putting it up. If it is at 450k, maybe not so much... Second segment climb data is predicated on MCT on the remaining engines. Besides, you need every ounce of thrust to get the jet sped up and cleaned up as quickly as possible. If you leave the thrust reduced, you are off the charts and now a test pilot, let us know how it comes out. For me, I don't want to be on the 6 O'clock news that bad.

Reduced thrust (also called FLEX) takeoffs are only to save maintenance money. For you, USMCFLYR, think of as intentionally turing most every takeoff into a critical field length takeoff, depending on the thrust reduction taken. If you end up rejecting the takeoff at V1, minus a few knots, you had better be on your game that day, you are about to use up a bunch of brakes and tires. I can't count the number of heavy takeoffs that I have done where when the PNF said V1 and I looked at the runway remaining thinking, there is no way we would be able to stop. So far, have not had to test it. Thank God

Last edited by SabreDriver; 11-02-2009 at 02:16 PM.