View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
HIFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

3. I do not think most surface vehicles for short range applications should ultimately run on liquid fuels anyway, no matter how the fuel is made. My readings tell me that some sort of battery technology will arrive fairly soon after which point it will be far better to have electricity than gas or diesel. Even without new batteries, enough electricity for cars and trucks can be made from wind power and other renewable sources. I doubt these "green" sources would cost as much as going totally nuclear. His argument that the cost in terms of retooling of the world's cars and trucks to use electricity is not very good, if you consider they all wear out anyway and have to be replaced. The cost of replacement will be there either way. Why not use that opportunity to go to electric? The cost is a bit prohibitive right now, but with larger volumes of production the costs will go way down.

Why? What about the disposal of batteries? You really think that if all the short range vehicles were battery driven they could be powered by solar/wind only. Nuclear and hydrogen is a better answer.