Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 AM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Nice!

Bellerophon:

Very Nice!

(For those who didn't see it before it got removed for format error, it was a Concorde cockpit shot at FL600 and Mach 2.00)

Josh:

In any jet airplane, flying near the top of its envelope, the things you notice are:

1. Low Thrust Available. This means pitch changes have to be small, smooth, and controlled, or you starting bleeding/gaining airspeed easily (more losing than gaining).

2. Change in Pitch-Feel. In any aircraft, as you approach transonic speeds (.80 and up), there is a small but noticable shift of the center of pressure aft. In any aircraft that is supersonic, the center of pressure will be at 50% mean chord.

This means the tail moment-arm becomes shorter as you fly faster, and it may take more control deflection to achieve the same result...which means it "feels" different.

I can't touch Bellerophon's Mach 2.00 at FL600, but I've done 1.8 at FL520 in the F-4... I was stirring the stick like I was baking a cake, and I felt like I was standing on a basketball...it was pretty unstable, even with 500 knots indicated.

3. High-Speed Mach Buffet. When you approach the critical Mach of a wing, the airflow going over the top of the wing will speed-up to the point it is supersonic. This typically happens in a rapid on/off/on/off fashion, and is manifested as a rumble or buffet. It occurs because the temporarily supersonic air separates from the wing, then re-attaches...just like a conventional angle-of-attack stall.

In a turn (g-load on the aircraft), angle of attack is increased, so the airflow over the top of the wing accelerates even more...which means the high-speed buffet can happen at lower indicated Mach-numbers, regardless of Indicated. This is why, as KC10 said, bank has to be limited at high-altitude.

4. Turn Radius, as KC10 mentioned. Air Force formula is "mach minus 2." Example-- 0.80 Mach: 8-2=6-mile turn radius at 30 bank.