View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Kill Bill

the current state of the industry spurred me to do something i've always wanted to do but never could quite start: my novel. it's about one third written and it's really good. this from someone who is incredibly self-critical and knows crap when he sees it.

the point is that everyone has talents that lie outside of this job; a job that used to be the best in the world.

a few years ago, i truly believed the death spiral the airline industry was and is currently in could be corrected. i no longer believe that. the industry itself will survive and thrive at some point, of course, generating huge bonuses and obscene compensation packages for management. sadly, the pilots will be forced to endure smaller and smaller total compensation until, finally, we're making what an assembly line worker makes... or less. and guess who did it to us? we did... by allowing ourselves to put "flying" before profession. NW just took a 24% hit, DL will follow, the next airline, probably AA will follow, then us at CO again, then NW will be back again, then DL... and on and on and on. when all is said and done, we'll be making about what a McDonald's manager makes... without the free meal.

i asked my son tonight at dinner what he wanted to be "in a few years" (never, "when you grow up", of course). he still wants to be a pilot. thankfully, he has incredible entreprenurial skills even at his age and will make a ton of money; it just won't be in flying and this makes me sad.

my best advice is to look within yourself; a real and deep soul-search. if you must fly, i wish you the best.