Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 AM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
Are you kidding me? "See and avoid is unreliable"?

That's like saying you want to mandate that everyone rides around in a wheelchair because walking has proven ineffective at preventing falls.

Technology is not the solution here. See and avoid is phenomenally more accurate and reliable than TCAS.

TCAS is a nice aid to visual lookout, but it does not replace visual lookout, period.
What he said! It's all the new magic boxes in the aircraft that have made "see and avoid" harder. People spend to much time inside and not eyes out. Once had a IFF instructor turn off my HUD and MFD because I was not "eyes out" enough...leason learned.

Mandating a TCAS system would likely put most of the GA guys out of flying. Most are barely hanging on as it is right now, this would devastate the GA community. I'm looking at a Champ right now with an A/S, Alt, Mag Compass, EGT, Oil pressure and a handheld radio mounted in it. I would imagine if more people learned to fly in a plane like this "see and avoid" may work better. If this sytem was mandated it would almost double the price of this airplane.