View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 02:36 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Honestly

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
I will be honest...I thought I was here because I loved to fly and I loved airplanes...but after being in the aviation workforce for 4 years I just realized something...I was hear for the money and the quality of life. And I dont see that looking like it is ever even gonna be a factor. I hope I am wrong...but to sacrifice so much in just 4 years....missing all holidays, being away from my wife for a total of 2 years in my 2.5 year marriage to date (and my wife is 100% supportive of all my sacrifices and being gone), dealing with medical exams, and playing grab ass with the FAA...this isnt worth it. I would have to say for this to be worth it one would have to make $300,000 BEFORE TAXES for ten years. Other than that it is a life wasted making sacrifices for peanuts and a uniform.
Honestly, we all expected to make 300K as pilots. Why else would a rational person invest more than 150K in college and flight training plus most of a decade in school and time building to get a job that only pays 18K? Even 80K is way too little for the price it takes to get there. A better idea would be to save your money and buy a house and then get a job as a postman.

It just does not make any sense unless there is a significant compensation fairly early on. No one goes into debt for a career that promises them a life of poverty.

Skyhigh