View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 08:40 AM
themotleyfool
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: FO
Default The Cyclical ways of aviation

We all know that aviation has its good times and bad times. When I was a young kid I had a older captain tell me that you could set a watch to the cycles of aviation, every ten years would complete one full wave from peak to trough to peak. I am posing a question that has come to mind from me reading the post about Brad Bartholomew. We as pilots interact within the industry every day, and we know that as with every industry there are good times and bad times, however within aviation it seems that the cycles are just getting steeper. I once overheard a conversation with two pilots saying the airline that you should work for when you are getting into the industry should be the one that is doing the worst, or close to it, because by the time you are ready to retire that airline will be close to the top. My question that I am open to any and all opinions is this. Does the greed of the pilots of an airline, wanting to milk every penny from management just increase these aviation downturns and ultimately hinder that specific airline allowing for another airline to take top seed?

Cheers