Thread: CVR Bill in Congress. NOT GOOD !!

Sink r8 , 11-20-2009 11:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2009
Quote: This story makes no sense... To wit: no matter what Congress passes, labor can still negotiate to not allow the company to use CVR or FDR data to punish/monitor performance...
I'm not sure you're right. If there is a new law that bans such agreements, inlcuding those already in place, you can't... re-negotiate an illegal agreement. Like it or not, Congress matters, and laws carry the force... of law.

Quote:
I think this story is trying to say that Congress wants the FAA to randomly sample CVR's and FDR's for improper pilot procedure. While this certainly would SUCK, I'd have to say, get used to the idea.
You can get used to the idea of periodic checkrides, medicals, and line checks, but it's pretty hard to conceive this group accepting monitoring devices. We have CVR's and FDR for the prupose of making the skies safer, and they work. Very well. Using them for other purposes, and turning them over to HR, would be disastrous. Not only would we become disfunctional paranoids, but the airlines would also be forced to use the data, and I don't think they want to do that. Sure, there is a chief pilot or two that dreams about this stuff at night, but most legal or HR departments would probably shiver at the thought. For starters, every one of your mistakes they failed to punish for, they would be accountable for. And if they punished you for every mistake, and spent the time reviewing your actions, there would be no pilot left that's fit for duty, since we are in an error-intolerant industry, not an error-free industry.

On the flip side, you would have thousands of unemployed pilots available to review flights by the few pilots yet to be fired. It would build into a feverd pitch, with the last flying pilot being reviewed several hundred thousand times, by the remaining, non-flying, "pilots".

So I'm not getting used to that idea, and neither should you.