View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 AM
DeadHead
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by jared4271987 View Post
All I have to say is that if airlines ever switch to computer-only flights I'm taking the bus. There's no algorithm, programming, or any other fancy mathematical concept that I don't understand, in this world that would give me peace of mind at FL350 going .80 with a computer in charge. I'll stick to the risk of pilot error. My computer has crashed way too many times for me to ever feel comfortable with this in my lifetime. At least when humans are "crashing" there are signs of stress, depression, anxiety, fatigue...
I think the majority of people in the world share your sentiment.

I love how people always love to throw out that age-old statistic of how the majority of plane crashes are due to pilot error. I guess the opposite to pilot error would mechanical/equipment error. The percentage of plane crashes due to mechanical/equipment error is far less because their is always a well qualified pilot in the control seat.

Anyone who thinks that technological advancements have made equipment/mechanical failures a thing of the past is both ill-informed as a person and inexperienced as an aviator.