Thread: FDX Mil Leave
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Chuck Turpen
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: 777 Capt

Originally Posted by pipe View Post
The "process of trip removal". Managerial gobbledygook. It need only involve one button push from the pilot, followed by CRS action. The rest is manufactured bull.

PIPE
I highly recommend that all you military types become familiar with this web site:
http://esgr.org The Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.
I found a nice tutorial under the Service Member Resources link called USSERA 101.
There is an interesting example of withholding notification from your employer. Here is a quote from the end of the scenario:
When should Randy inform his employer of his upcoming two-week military training commitment?

Option One: Wait until the last minute.
If Randy waits until the last minute to inform his employer of when his military training will be starting, he may be taking a risk.

"Although USERRA does not require a certain amount of notice of upcoming duty to an employer, if a service member does deliberately withhold information until the last minute and it causes serious disruption to the employer, it is conceivable that a court could find an employer to be within his or her rights to terminate the service member’s employment."

There is also a Power Point available at the same link that gives an overview of USSER with references to the law.

I also found an interesting article from the GAO dated Aug 15, 2008. It seems the government is interested in strengthening the relationship between reservists and employers. It also says that the government strongly recommends notification be in writing and as far in advance as possible. (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08981r.pdf?source=ra)
Before you bet the farm on calling in late and not using written notification I would recommend checking with your command to see what their recommended policy is.
During my tenure in management I came across an Air Force directive to reservists that they make timely notifications to their employers.
Alas that data is on my company provided computer that I left behind when I returned to the line.
If I find it again I’ll pass it on.