Thread: FDX Mil Leave
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by pipe View Post
I agree. I dealt with Chuck a couple of times as a DO. He did the right and reasonable thing each time. That's exactly why his tone here is so perplexing.

PIPE
Pipe,

I've just reread this entire thread, looking for Chuck's "perplexing tone". After the second rereading I just couldn't find it. Seems to me that he, from the get-go was trying to be of help, offering what I frankly believe is how guys should act. That is to say, give as much advance notice as you can, so that the Company can fill those trips that you will be removed from. He never disagreed with the premise that you don't have to ask permission to go on Mil Leave, but was just suggesting that guys: 1) become familiar with information that would help them in the long run; and 2) just do the right thing. He said "Having said that I do feel it is the Reservist's responsibility to give the company as much notice as possible. It is the responsible thing to do. Calling the Duty Officer at 6pm on Friday night to get off of a trip for Saturday drill weekend while within your legal rights is irresponsible. (Yes it happened and I was the DO and I took him off his trip)". How can anyone find fault with Chuck's statement?

However, I do agree that simply pressing a button in VIPS should accomplish notification, but at the same time, it doesn't hurt to notify your ACP, or in lieu thereof, the Duty Officer. Hopefully they've come to understand that they're (the ACP or DO) not entitled to question you on your Military Leave, but if they do, as Chuck suggested, pass them along to a legal individual who will explain your rights to them.

I don't believe I know Chuck at all, but each of his comments seem both very correct as well as well researched and informative, something that frankly, seems lacking in yours. Sorry, but that's exactly how I see it. Of the 18 years I did at FedEx, 11 were done while still in the Guard, and never, not once, did I have a problem with taking Mil. Leave, or for that matter, getting off, almost on the spur of the moment, for either drill weekends or really good deals that came up at the last moment.

JJ