View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Are you a struggline CFI ?

Originally Posted by FL450 View Post
PLantation the odds if you can hold out of the II and MEI working towards your favor are high. The best instructor I had was 30 when he was instructing me, he had no leads on any jobs and was thinking about going to the regionals although none were hiring at the time. He networked at our flight school and was introduced to some one who got him a job at flight safety. Started off as a CO-pilot sim support in the GV making not much more an hour than when he flight instructed. He eventually moved to an instructor position which landed him a GV job on the field. This all happened over a two year period. My point is he is 35/36 now and has 3 type ratings and flying a G200 for an investment banker with the possibility of getting typed in the Global. Timing and who you know are the key things! He never bought time in an aircraft besides the times required to get his ratings, give it time and you'll be in the same place!

You sound like a guy who is stuck as a CFI. I have noticed that instructors are the ones who seem to be the most alarmed by others buying a job to get ahead. So, Are you?

Another thing, Your instructor might have had a fast transition a few years ago but pilots now will have to struggle for a long time to get anyplace. In hard times often pilots have to make their own luck. $$$

Skyhigh