View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Fire Bombers

Originally Posted by VanDriver208 View Post
Hello all, I know there have been several posts on this before, but they are all a little outdated. I am just north of 1000 hours and 200 multi. (Funny how those were pretty decent numbers about 3 ago) I have always had an itch to get into fire bombing. I don't know why I want to, most of my other pilot friends call me sick for considering it, but I keep coming back to it. There isn't much information out there about how to get into the business. I have sent my resume over to Neptune, Aero Union and Minden, but like most things these days I didn't receive a response. I am from the Pacific Northwest, are there any operators in the Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana area I should know of? Thanks for any input.
I flew in fire suppression years ago. It is not as easy as it once was to get in. Fire bombers are starting to convert to modern airframes. Usually that means time in type and an A&P. Most of those outfits have career crews. You could try to get hired as ground crew and hope to get lucky, but you could also waste a decade waiting for an opportunity that never will come.

I lucked into my first job. Every fall I would buy an address list and would sent out resumes blindly to hundreds of companies. The one who called was for a fire suppression contract. My in was that I had Alaska time. PM if you want more.

Skyhigh