View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Jones14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by blastoff View Post
Pilot training is the hardest thing you'll ever do. A significant number of people will wash-out (fail) in your class (about 1/3 in mine). This isn't an FBO that will keep training you (and take your money) until you "get it." Sink or Swim. Even airline pilots wash out of UPT (much of that comes with attitude, you must expect it to be hard, no matter what your previous experience is).
I totally expect it to be hard. It shouldn't be a cake walk by any means, they want to know the best guys are in their multi-million dollar a/c. I've seen the same thing, on a far smaller scale, in my A&P school. I bet only 2/3 of the kids made it through the first year, and probably half graduated. I know I wouldn't want someone who inches by with no passion or real interest working on a chunk of metal and fuel that I'm about to propel myself through the sky with.

Regardless, what is it specifically that causes a candidate to fail? Dedication, aptitude, attitude? Fail to me, as a college student, means you're not making the grades, or at least portraying that you're not giving the effort to make the grades. If you're struggling, but busting your ass does it make a difference? Or is it mostly cut and dry, you're outta here!