Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey
Talking

Originally Posted by AFW_MD11 View Post
to me - it's ALL the "I don't pay much attention to that union stuff" or the "I'm not a big 'union guy' " folks.

i stated that this was just my opinion and speaking from my perspective to begin with - i didn't do a scientific survey.

my thought is that if I did, it would probably reveal that most DPs that are picked up/not assigned to reserves (for whatever excuse/reason) are picked up by guys with mil backgrounds.

the majority of FDX pilots are ex-mil, retired mil, or still active Guard/Reserve mil. so it is a problem/sentiment that (imo) pervades the crew force.

is it a coincidence that FDX likes to hire ex-military guys (retired O-5+ especially) who are used to following (giving) orders and are, genuinely, happy to have been given this second career opportunity by Fred & FDX? I think not.

using this FO as an example - my point was that the percentages of the "I don't pay much attention to that union stuff" crowd that I've run across here at FDX who also "happen to be" retired active duty military is a disturbingly large percentage (from my perspective - & I am also mil - not retired yet)

conversely, I haven't ran across ANY (that I can recall) non-mil guys who would make those kind of statements or have that same sentiment "not a big union guy" or "don't pay that much attention to union stuff"

in any case.....like I also said.....it's an education thing. It's up to the union (and it's individual members) to educate their peers about the "union process"

the DP process is (imo again) one where the guys (military or civilian background) that "don't pay attention to union stuff" end up hurting us all the most.
After reading this post twice why am I having a Bayes' Theorem flashback?