Thread: Why so bitter about the younger pilots?

rickair7777 , 10-24-2006 09:49 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Engines Turn Or People Swim
Quote: I was totally with you up until you said that young people are not entitled to their dreams. This is America. If young people want to make no money, so be it. I know how lousy the pay is, but I still want to get into the market. I think that's the case with a lot of young pilots. Who doesn't know the wages of what they're getting into? Not everybody does things for the sake of money alone. You're basically telling the young people (who love what they do) to step aside so the older ones can make more money. A young person could argue that older pilots should step aside and change professions because they no longer enjoy their jobs and are simply making it more difficult for people who will love their job, to get a job. If you always include money in your dreams, those may no longer even be your dreams. I can have all the money in the world, but if I'm not doing what I love, then what the heck am I spending my money on?
You are certainly entitled to the PURSUIT of dreams, happiness, etc. But when you start thinking you are simply ENTITLED to anything and everything you desire...well the world doesn't really work that way.

You need to frame the pursuit of your dreams within the perspective of reality...otherwise the potential cost is too high. For example I knew many folks who went to mesa to pursue their dreams...but for those that cannot escape, their dream has turned into a living nightmare for themselves and their families. And to make it worse, they are contributing to the loss of other, better jobs in the industry.