View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Badgeman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Advanced Newbie
Default Hold and "Possess" medical certificate

A friend of mine asked me if her friend (who forgot her medical certificate at home while on vacation) needs to have her medical certificate with her if she is renting an airplane from the company I work for, a flight school and aircraft rental facility. I told her of course she does. She needs her pilot certificate, her medical and a photo ID. with her whenever she acts as PIC of any aircraft. I'm a 2 year CFI. It goes without saying. BUT, being a man of detail, I looked it up, just to make sure where it actually SAYS you need your medical with you when you operate.

61.23 says, (a)(3) "Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate -
(i) when exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate

BUT THEN IT GOES ON TO SAY,

(c) Operations requiring either a medical certificate or US. driver's license.
(1) A person must HOLD AND POSSESS either a valid medical certificate issued under Part 67 of this chapter or a current and valid US driver's license when exercising the privileges of

(i) a student pilot certificate while seeking sport pilot privileges.

(ii) etc.

(iii) etc.

So if 61.23 is thorough enough to include the requirement to not only hold, but also to "possess" your medical when operating under section 1, why wouldn't it also mention you must not only hold but "possess" you medical when operating under section (a)(3)(i), as a private pilot? Where's the part where is says I must both hold and "possess" my medical to exercise my privileges as private, or any other pilot for that mater.

It's frustrating when you can't find the actual verbatim of such a simple thing in these scatter-brained FAR/AIM books.

Thanks guys...and gals.