Old 10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
crimson tide
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Hunkered down

I work for ACC... if you fly on a scheduled run here, you can commute here but it may NOT be easy. The best thing to do is be lucky and get a run within a 4 hour drive or so of where you live. Either that or just deal with being away for the duration of the assignment. If you have to jumpseat home, a one leg commute is ideal. When you start driving 6+ hours or spending at least that much time jumpseating several legs, i promise you will get fatigued and FAST.

If you fly for our charter department, your schedule will be 2-3 weeks on and 1 week off. All those guys commute and it can suck, but the week off is worth it. I say 2-3 weeks on because our current charter schedule is 19 on 9 off, but is about to change to some variation of 14/7.

Go to our website at www.aircar.com for a pretty accurate route map. Night 135 isnt for everyone, if you need to be near home look for a more commutable 121 job to suit those needs.

FWIW my run is a 6.5 hour drive from home or an ~8.5 hour jumpseating adventure. I now go home often, but it took me a long time to get used to this schedule to the point where I could use weekends commuting without showing up to work tired. Why am I here? PIC time. I upgraded in 10 months.