Thread: Is college still worth the investment?

SkyHigh , 12-16-2009 07:36 AM
Self Employed.
SkyHigh
Self Employed.
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2005
  • Position
    Corporate Pilot
College
Quote: Could you be any more DRAMATIC AGAIN!
Just how broad is your brush?
That's the way to lump the all parents and the entire college student population into one group. Nicely done - and totally inaccurate.

If you don't believe that college is worth it then I hope you will guide your children into other areas. I'm glad my mother funneled me the way did she even if I did end up with a *worthless* degree in the end it got me where I needed to go for quite a ride that I have had over the past years.
Hummmmm...........I wonder what is next?

USMCFLYR
If you were to take a look at the list of majors that are currently being offered at colleges these days two thirds are a joke. It seems like modern universities have become four year summer camps. Majors like fashion merchandising, sports management and flight technology are little more than a waste of a small fortune and a set up for failure.

I do not intend to encourage my sons to go to college unless they have a specific aptitude or interest that will immediately translate into a good job. As a father I am interested buying something by supporting my child's education. A child that can support themselves when they are through. There are many other paths besides college where a person can apply themselves.

There are many other ways to make it in the world besides having a college degree. Many are proving to be better. Auto shop has been taken away and replaced with calculus. Not everyone should go to college however it seems that high school has become exclusively focused on it. As time goes by you will see more on this. The trend of blindly going to college is going to come to an end.

Skyigh