View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Scout
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B737 FO

Originally Posted by ElBow513 View Post
Hey everyone,
I've heard from pilots in the past that you want to maintain a flawless driving record in order to be hired quickly by the airlines and that even a speeding ticket can be a disadvantage. I'm 16 years old and was recently in an accident on a day when it was pouring and my car spun out and knocked up a mirror of another car when it lost control. So the police show up 5 minutes later and give me a speeding ticket for going too fast for the conditions. I'm obviously protesting this ticket in an attempt to get it off my record. I'm curious how badly this will disadvantage me for my future. I will now have one insurance claim on my record placed by that volvo driver for their mirror and hopefully the judge will take that speeding ticket off since the accident really was not related to speeding at all. So how will this effect me in the future and what can I do?
First of all take responsibility for the accident. "It" didn't lose control you did. With that said, stay in school and don't make bad decisions such as those mentioned, DUI, Reckless Driving, ect…. I will repeat what others have said because it is really, really important,…Don't drink and drive, ever! The airlines all know that most pilots are going to have the occasional speeding ticket, just don't make it to often. If a past driving infraction does come up on the interview, be a man and accept responsibility for it. Otherwise the interviewer will get an impression that you may not want. Best of luck, Fly Safe!