View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
tkr1967
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
Maybe this will catch on in other fields!! Then I can go to the doctor's office and get paid for it or maybe have a lawyer represent me in court for free so he can get some much needed experience (I have no cases pending...just an example). It just isn't right to pay an employer to work. It's counter productive. You do a job to get paid, not to lose money.

On a side note, I appreciate everyone for keeping this discussion civil. It's great to see that things like this can be discussed in a professional manner.
Doctors spend most of their four year residency working for peanuts and lawyers clerk for nothing as part of their professional "dues". Electricians have to apprentice... I have a friend in a two year physician assistant program that spent one year in class and the second year working in his clinical time but paying $60,000 in tuition. All the best professions have their candidates pay to work before getting a job. Why is it wrong for aviators to pay for learning opportunities but not other respected professionals? Solid aviation internships followed by strong airline training departments and quarterly recurrent training could make a world of difference for us.