View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
kalyx522
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by JumpSeater View Post
At UPS, the holiday temp spots (they call them 'seasonal') run from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas eve. Beginning early November, start watching the UPS site. When you see your area come up, apply immediately - they get alot of apps. If you live close to an HR center, stop by. Talk to the drivers too - they could have some inside info and also tell HR about you and request you as a seasonal helper. Volume has been down a bit this year and I never did see any job postings for help in my area, but I recieved an email from HR asking if I would be interested in coming back. Based on volume, I believe the hiring this year has been less and mostly consisted of those they hired in years past.

I am assuming that your inquiry is, in-part, based upon potentially working there as a pilot someday. If you ever get the opportunity, it's a great seasonal position. I have been doing it for the past two years for two reasons. First to see what it is like to work for the company. I had already heard it was good and it is. In my opinion, the people make the company and the people here are great. Secondly, I am hoping that it will set me apart from other pilot applicants when hiring resumes in a few years. UPS, like FedEx, hires stongly from within. Although it is not a part-time/full-time position, it is the best I can do while flying and on a resume, it is better than nothing, in my opinion. Maybe some current UPS pilots have a better take on this. I also wanted to see if I look good in brown... I do!
Hey Jumpseater, thank you for the information. I guess I was a little late in the timeline but will keep it in mind for the future. I've been looking at both UPS/Fedex sites the last 2 years for regular part time positions as well... but so far I've never seen any positions available in my area (I look at both my hometown and domicile.)