Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
dojetdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
The safety officer in me would be required to ask WHY was there a bad landing made. It isn't good enough to just admit circumstances conspired to ruin the landing. WHAT caused those circumstances. As you noted earlier though - fatigue getting thrown about in every case is really watering down a serious issue IMO.

USMCFLYR
Depends on how the issue is approached. It's not till just recently that it's ACTUALLY been given attention when it was so easily disregarded before. And for many reasons that have been pointed out, political/economic.

Originally Posted by jayray View Post
Maybe it's because fatigue really is an issue in most incidents/accidents.
Good point, see above.

Originally Posted by HalinTexas View Post
Fatigue is an issue, but not a cause. A 12 hour duty day, ending at 2130 EST, isn't that long of a day.
But not short either Also, depends on how that day was constructed. YES, I know they're a mainline legacy crew, etc. But I've had PLENTY of 12 hour days, standard 4 am wake up going to the hub. Sit 4-5 hours of mind numbing sit, trying to get breakfast, then try to take a nap in a noisy crewroom, Then do a turn, back to a 3-4 hour sit in the hub, trying to get a late lunch/dinner, without time for a nap in a noisy crewroom. THEN to the overnight. Like I said, not a "long" day, not a short/easy one either. Try it consecutive days, makes it even worse.