View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 03:54 PM
KoruPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory
Default Can we fix our problem?

After careful consideration I find myself standing, ever so slightly, corrected on this whole cheap labour RJ thing. My appologies.

I agree that these low pay operations hiring 300 hour drivers for the right seat of an RG are killing our 'profession'. Frankly, after spending numerous years flying in places like the arctic circle and the Saudi dessert, I have gained somewhat of an understanding of what makes a good, professional pilot. And at 300 hours total time very few people have the all 'round ability that is required to sit in the right seat of a jet.

All that said, I would be hard pressed to try and convince a friend asking me for advice to tell them to go back to flying 50 hours a month at $10 an hour in the right seat of a C152, when somebody else is going to take the RJ job that they would be turning down. In three years time they'd be three years behind, with less cash in the pocket.

So what do we do?

I remember looking into the Dentistry field in the Province of Alberta in Canada, from whence I came. The Dental Society neatly kept intake down, and consequently prices up. The licenced professionals governed themselves. I'd like to think we have the same sort of idea in Aviation, but the FAA and MOT seam to listen much more intently to airline owners then pilots when it comes to safety (part 135 air taxi duty schedules as an example).

At a former employer that operated turbo-props and jets, ALPA had contracted a minimum of an ATPL for a new hire position, and for good reason; they had to fly with these guys and gals. At my current employer the minimums are much lower, but as line pilots make the hiring decisions the average new hire SO has about 5000 hours with turbine, some with jet, some with part 121 turbine command. I think the pay is reasonable. If management gets their hands on the hiring they will no doubt try to direct hire 'cadets' into the SO position who they can then pay peanuts. Bad for us, but again who can blame the person taking the position. We'd all be a bit naive to not not think back to when we started and say to ourselves that we would not take the job, or we'd be lying, unless we were an apostle of sorts, or just crazy. You get the point.

So here is one idea. A big push by IFALPA to make an ATPL, not just the writtens or the bloody colonial 'frozen' ATPL (and soon to be unleashed JAR multi-crew ticket), but only the actual licence be mandatory to fly any part 121 turbine aircraft, regardless of seat. It would put everyone in the same boat; they would all have to do the requisite dues paying before going anywhere near a big jet. It would, I believe, bring the average, and by average I mean average wage up.

By the way, I have flown with pilots who have had good or at least reasonable experience before getting into an airline job, being it military, bag flying or bush flying, and they are, in most (but, understandibly as there are exceptions) not all circumstances easy to identify beside their compatriots who have landed a big jet job with little time. The decision making skills and self confidence are just not as prevalent.

Any other ideas and can we make it happen? Am I off my rocker?

Oh yea, I love flying long haul, it is a 'real' and enjoyable flying job and I am easily worth every cent they pay me at least a couple times a year, the rest I do for free.