Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM
FloridaGator
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: MD-80 FO

I recieved all my ratings in college while getting a four year degree in Aeronautical Science. Afterwards, I had no intention to participate in "pay for training" at the regionals so I applied to Air National Guard Units nation wide while flight instructing and charter flying (135).

I consider myself a hybrid and I can make these observations from my experiences.

1) Military equipment is the best. Aircraft, Simulators, etc. Military Instructors are typically only 18 months removed from their first flight as a student (200 hours TT) and are building thier own careers... not necessarily gifted and talented educators. Instrument training was VERY weak.

2) Civilian equipment is terrible. GA aircraft are not sophisticated enough or fast enough to really provide a perfect educational experience. Civilian Instructors were EXCELLENT from my experience. Guys with a Thousand hours or so. Instructing 6 to 8 hours a day. People who really liked teaching. The guys who were not gifted instuctors typically did not make it through the CFI program and ended up building time by flying banners or traffic watch.

I ended up having to teach my entire Flight Instruments because the "Blue Suits" did a crappy job and the FAIP's knew little more than what the students were reading out of the book. NONE of the instructors had ever been in IMC. Please understand that the Military is great at Formation flying and "Contact" or aerobatic flying.

If Flight Schools could ever put Civilian Instructors in T-38's and T-1's you would have the perfect training ground for the Airlines.