Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
AtlCSIP
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left
Default Pros and cons to both

There are good and bad in both military and civilian training. I have flown with many different pilots, civilian and former military. Some are good, some are not. As a matter of fact, the worst already certificated instrument pilot I have ever flown with (the only time I was sure he knew his position was #1 for departure and after I had vectored him to the final approach course on the final VISUAL approach) is currently training new Navy pilots through their initial training. Having flown with this guy personally, I can assure you, these Navy pilots are NOT involved in the best training available. Also, I am not suggesting that this is typical of military training, but making a broad statement like "military training is the best" is not necessarily accurate. What is the mission? Does the military train for that? If not, it can't be the best in that category. I think the statement should be qualified. Who would you rather have with you on final approach without an autopilot in icing shooting an ILS to minimums in Helena, MT? Military fighter pilot or Great Lakes 3 year captain? Without any other information, I'll take the Lakes captain.