Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Boogie Nights
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: KC135 IP
Default These things happen we need to go around

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
The safety officer in me would be required to ask WHY was there a bad landing made. It isn't good enough to just admit circumstances conspired to ruin the landing. WHAT caused those circumstances. As you noted earlier though - fatigue getting thrown about in every case is really watering down a serious issue IMO.

USMCFLYR

I recently landed a 737 in ATl with a a gusty quartering tail wind. Everything was normal from the cockpit perspective. Till the flairand landing. Plain would not settle, it was like I was 20 KIAS fast. Gain sheer is the only thing I can come up with. It was 0600 after a redeye. So do I accept a long landing or go around? I accepted a longer landing, grooved runway no rain ETC. Had this been what the AA guys were dealing with would have gone a around. Tower told us the plane infront of us reported sheer but not what kind. What happened to me came as a complete surprise and with 17 years expirience have never seen the like. You throw in weather, a long day, pushing to get to the hotel to sleep, runway surface conditions this could bite the best of pilots. There but for the gace of god go I. Next time I go around!