View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
LAfrequentflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Few people would be so honest or sincere about their beliefs.

I've certainly learned a lot from reading Skyhigh's posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to add a story about my CFI. He went to a small school in the west for an aero science degree that he paid way too much for...He and his wife worked two jobs each so they could live in California on his CFI salary.

He had been flying as a CFI for 6 years and have a little over 1,000 hrs and 25 ME hours. I asked him why he didn't move or do something to get more hours and hired. I had to tilt my head a bit to make eye contact- he rarely lifted his head , always spoke/moved like someone constantly looking for approval / acceptance / validation. You know the type?

He couldn't afford to move - the risk was too much for him. With his loan payments he needed the stability / any stability he had.

In the end he ended up interviewing with the local police department. He wanted to become a helo pilot. I think he was just holding onto any part of the aviation dream he could...

He seemed a rather pathetic site in the end. For him the dream ended as a CFI with 1,000 hr SE and 25 hr ME...

I honestly felt bad for him...

He was one of the many reasons I won't step into an FBO again. I found the whole set-up to be one of the most negative environments in my life. Kids putting up with abuse just to get another hour in the log books...

-LAFF