View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Ranger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD-11/10 Captain

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
I once worked for a major airline where your ACP was your friend. It was his job to get you OUT of trouble if he could! I wish it could be that way here ...
I also once worked for a legacy carrier that took this approach. When I first checked in with the domicile chief pilot he told me in no uncertain terms that he would do all that he could to keep management at arms length as long as I behaved myself. If I didn't, he said he'd lead the assault against me. He also told me to never come into his office on "official business" without my union rep. Sage advise especially today and in this environment.

The funny thing is that that's exactly what the FARs have in mind. The SCP and the small army/air force/marine/navy/coast guard crowd that he has working for him are SUPPOSED to act as a buffer between senior management and the line crews. I once heard our scp say that his job was to "enforce the contract." Yep, that's a direct quote. To me it's amazing that they get away with this approach. I'm pretty sure that FAR 121 doesn't say one darned thing about enforcing the contract. And they wonder why we have problems?