View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Mustangcbra View Post
I went for a degree in Aviation Science and Administration. If you can afford to go to a flight college and can swing the massive loans (up to $159,000 if your out of state like me) afterwards or get scholarships to pay for them then it is worth it. I can tell you that I learned things at Western Michigan and University of North Dakota that alot of the local pilots have no idea about.
That knowledge may be nice, but in the grand scheme of things it is not worth that kind of money. This industry won't repay your investment.

Originally Posted by Mustangcbra View Post
I do reccomend not doing a straight up flight science degree. It is a good idea to do the admin route and get the flight ratings on the side at the college or a dual degree. Your going to need a backup when times get rough....ie now.
In the real world one aviation degree is just like another, the exact wording on the diploma makes no difference (unless it is aero engineering which can open a lot of doors in industry).

Don't kid yourself that you're going to be able to get a job in airport management during an aviation downturn...when aviation is down, so is airport funding. Airport jobs will be just as competetive as pilot jobs, with experienced professionals applying for any job opening...along with 10,000 furloughed pilots with aviation degrees and no airport experience