View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Riddler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Left Seat, Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
Tbone:

Would you say that someone with UAV stink is more promotable than a MWS IP / EP ?

I'm asking because I really do not know the answer.

I was always told, make sure you get IP in a MWS ... EP or HQ if able. Otherwise, some jobs aren't going to be an option for you.
MWS IP/EP opens up a few doors, like Altus (except for C-5 guys) and AMC/A3T, AMC/A3V staff. Being an IP/EP also makes getting requal'd after a staff job a little bit easier. Finally, it may help get a CC or DO job in a similar airlift squadron. So yes, it does have its advantages.

The UAV is a huge growth industry right now. Tons of open jobs, on active duty, guard and reserve. C-5 is definitely not a growing platform.

All else being equal (masters degree, similar OPR stratification, etc.), I find it hard to believe that a promotion board would value an IP with 500 combat hours over an MP with 100 C-5 combat hours and XXX worth of ISR experience. Lots of OPR fodder being in a new and growing aircraft - new systems upgrades, new procedures, new tactical manuals, etc.

So honestly, my opinion is that although being an IP/EP is nice, that NOT being an IP and instead getting UAV experience also has its advantages.